Thursday, August 9, 2012

Shrimp Scampi & Cheese Fries

Shrimp Scampi

I usually don't cook shrimp, but I came across this recipe that just seemed to easy and sounded to good to pass up!  Not to mention it easily fits into a budget considering the only thing I didn't already have on hand was the shrimp and a few lemons.

Ingredients

4 tsp olive oil
1 1/4 pounds of med shrimp, peeled and deveined
6 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup of minced parsley (fresh or dry)
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
Optional Lemon Wedges

How to prepare

Heat your olive oil in a skillet and saute the shrimp for 2-3 minutes until they turn a pink color.  Add the garlic and stir constantly for about 30 seconds.  Remove the shrimp from the skillet to a dish where they can stay warm.
In the skillet stir in the chicken broth, wine, lemon juice, parsley, salt, and pepper.  Bring it to a boil, and boil uncovered until the liquid is reduced by half.
Pour the liquid over the shrimp and enjoy!   



Cheese Fries

First things first.....these are oh so yummy and on the lighter side when it comes to Cheese Fries!  I am definitely never again buying those nasty frozen fries!  Also once again the only thing I didn't already have in my pantry for this dish was the potatoes, so I'd say tonight was quite the budget savoy dinner!

Ingredients

4 medium potatoes (I used russet)
2 tsp olive oil
1 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp cumin
salt and pepper
cheddar cheese

How to prepare

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with some cooking spray.
I peeled my potatoes, but if you want the extra fiber leave it on!
Now cut your potatoes in half.
Now cut your half in half.  (Who knew cutting potatoes would make a great way to explain fractions.  Who knows what fraction your entire potato is cut up into now?)
I'll give you a hint, my picture is only half of the potato and there are only two slices.
 Now proceed to cut each quarter into thin slices!
Okay, enough cutting!  In a large bowl combine all your slices and oil.  Make sure you toss well.  Add the seasoning and toss to coat.
Place the slices on your baking sheet in a single layer.  Place in the oven and bake for 25 minutes.  Depending on your oven and how thick your slices are you made need a little longer.  You want a tender crisp taste!  After they are just right remove from the oven, place in a baking dish spread some grated cheese on top and cook for about 2 more minutes!
Do I need to say anything?  I'll let the picture speak for itself!

Note: If cooking both dishes, start with the cheese fries and once they are oven start cooking the shrimp scampi!




No comments:

Post a Comment